The following should be included:
- Copies of pertinent and recent medical records should be emailed, faxed or delivered with the remains.
- A complete history providing a detailed description of the animal and documenting the duration and of signs of illness, other animals affected, other animals in the same environment, type of management, vaccinations, etc. will go far in helping us decide on the best tests to run and answer pertinent questions.
- Note: Lack of complete historical information does not prevent our investigation – we perform complete necropsies on all cases.
- Notation of cases that have potential legal ramifications or insurance claims. This does not change our investigation, but it may alter our handling of the case – we may retain samples longer, take additional photographs, etc.
- Notation of specific questions, whether or not related to death (e.g., animal had a history of chronic lameness in the right hind leg).